Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Swimming Under the Stars (by Clara)

Note: This was meant to be published a few nights ago, but I was waiting to get the pictures off of my dad's camera, and it got delayed... Oops. Apparently it gets published with the timestamp of the draft though. Weird!

Yesterday, Mallory and I went to go swim individually. I've been waking up really early every morning, so I swam at around 6:30 in the morning. I was having trouble psyching myself up to get in the water, because it was so early, and I really just did not want to swim, but there was a little old lady out there calmly swimming easy breaststroke. So, I decided that if she could do it, so could I (same reasoning I use every time I swim the 200 fly and see those poor people swimming in heat 1). Anyway, I swam for an hour so before breakfast, and Mallory got in for an hour and a half later in the morning.

My dad arrived yesterday around 5:30 in the evening. After my dad settled in, we ate and then all sat together on one of the couches in the lobby on our computers. One guy came by and cracked some joke about taking a picture of us and putting it on YouTube? I didn't really understand why people on their computers garnered a YouTube video, but whatever...

The plan was to go swim again, and Mallory and decided that we should go swim in the dark to get used to it, since, chances are, we'll be swimming in the dark at some point during our crossing attempts. We got in the water at 10 pm, and it was still somewhat light on one side of the sky. The way we were swimming, Mallory could see me pretty well, but I couldn't see her at all. I was periodically picking up my head to listen for her splashes like a blind person. As darkness fell even further, I think I got used to it more, and I was mostly able to see her silhouette.

I was a little freaked out when we were starting, especially since I had brought my dark mirrored goggles (good for bright daylight), which seemed to cut the amount of light in half, but once we started swimming, it wasn't so bad. The worst part was not knowing where Mallory was most of the time... I think I would have been pretty freaked out swimming out in the dark completely by myself also, but I think having a big, lit up boat next to me should be okay. It seems likely that I'll be starting in the dark, which means boating out to somewhere, jumping out and swimming to shore some 200 meters away, and then getting back in the water to begin the swim. That might be a little scary, but at least I'll be swimming to shore and then to the lit boat, so I think that'll be all right, right?

Here are some pictures, to prove that we were out swimming in the dark:

before the swim, looking scared

walking out into the water

afterwards

No comments: