Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Really Big Race

I just wanted to give you all the heads up on the status of "The Really Big Race" as it refers to the swim off of Lake Maxincukee in Culver, IN between myself and my father.

Background: My father and I have a history of competitiveness between the two of us. One year, we had a pie bake-off for Thanksgiving, just because he claimed he could make a better pie than me. The results of that contest were inconclusive. Yes, his pumpkin pie tasted better than my banana creme pie (that I forgot to add sugar to). However, he used pre-made crust when it was supposed to be a pie FROM SCRATCH.

Anyway, my father has recently taken up swimming as his sport of choice. Last year he swam Lake Maxincukee in Culver (a 2.5 mile swim) and this year we are making it our newest competition. On June 8th, we will swim-off. I will be swimming a double crossing, and my father a single. Who will be victorious?

This will be the must attend event for the year. We will be renting out the Train Depot in Culver for the occasion, complete with refreshments and a map of the lake with frequent GPS coordinate updates of the swimmers' progress. In addition, there will be boats going out for spectators who want a closer look, and afterwards there will be a full celebration of the race/my graduation/and my channel swim attempt.

If you are going to be in the area (or just want to be) and are interested in coming, email me your mailing address! I will be sending out formal invitations soon. Also, if you are interested in purchasing a t-shirt to support the cause, please also denote this as we are going to be placing a second bulk order. There are links to online stores located on the sidebar, if you didn't know that already and would like to view your t-shirt options. Keep in mind, however, that if you place an order through me then the price will be slightly cheaper, you will not be charged shipping, and the margin is slightly better for us.

Who will be victorious?

No comments: